What we're all about as a union...Fairness, Equality, Pride."
It's a win-win situation."
Everybody's treated the same, everybody's treated equal."
Why Join the IBEW
Are you a non-union electrical worker looking to find some security and peace of mind? Are you receiving the proper opportunities to grow in your career? Can you guarantee that you and your family will be well taken care of in case something goes wrong on the worksite?
If you don’t currently have union representation, and would like to speak to someone about the benefits of joining or forming a union, contact us.
IBEW Local 586 Ottawa is an electrical union that provides its members with quality representation that cannot be found anywhere else in Ontario – especially if you’re currently an independent worker.
It’s our promise to those we work with that we will always do our best to provide unparalleled job security and a workforce that is above and beyond the basic requirements of what is expected from those in the industry. Highly trained, hard-working, and reliable – that’s what people expect from IBEW Local 586 Ottawa.
Are you part of an electrical union? If not, there are certain things you should be aware of as a licensed electrician working in Ontario.
The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) is comprised of proud union members with a wide diversity of skills and knowledge. One of the most progressive unions in existence, the IBEW represents some 750,000 members in the United States and Canada.
Some of the benefits of joining the IBEW include:
- Representation from an established organization;
- Pension benefits;
- Life insurance;
- Negotiated wages;
- Comprehensive health plan for you and your family;
- 10% vacation pay;
- Defined work schedules;
- Grievances procedures;
- Guaranteed overtime pay;
- Safety protections;
- Professional guidance with personal and work related issues.
The objectives of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- To treat all members with respect and honesty;
- To organize all workers in the entire electrical industry, including all those in public utilities and electrical manufacturing, into local unions;
- To promote reasonable methods of work;
- To cultivate feelings of friendship among those of our industry;
- To settle all disputes between employers and employees by arbitration (if possible);
- To assist each other in sickness or distress;
- To secure employment;
- To reduce the hours of daily labour;
- To secure adequate pay for our work;
- To seek a higher standard of living;
- To seek security for the individual;
- To elevate the moral, intellectual, and social conditions of our members, their families, and dependents, in the interest of a higher standard of citizenship.
We’re here to support the electrical workers of Local 586 Ottawa. When contractors are looking for accessibility to a skilled workforce, they contact us. We have the manpower, a benefit that cannot be said for non-union contractors.
If you’re a contractor looking for electrical workers skilled in residential, commercial, and institutional work, IBEW Local 586 Ottawa is the best choice for highly skilled licensed electricians.
Why join IBEW? To ensure and protect a quality of life for you and your family for years to come.
For more information about IBEW Local 586 Ottawa, please be sure to contact us, or visit our About Us page.
Do you have more questions? Be sure to visit our frequently asked questions section to get the answers you need.
IBEW Local 586 Ottawa is dedicated to providing you and your family with a secure focus for the future. You are invited to join out winning team!